Reprinted, with permission, from the proceedings of: Mitigating Air Emissions From Animal Feeding Operations Conference.
This Technology is Applicable To:
Odorgon is a water based formulation that is applied in confined animal feeding operations through a high pressure mist system. Odorgon is sprayed on an automated timer basis from the ceilings through high pressure nylon lines and nozzles to neutralize malodors.
Applicability and Mitigating Mechanism
- Unique class of cationic surfactants
- Atomized solution sprayed at 600 psi
- Buffer resulting in non volatile organic salts
- Greatly reduces ammonia & hydrogen sulfide
- Creates better environment for animals to thrive in resulting in lower mortality, less culls and less days to finish.
- Better conditions for workers/employees
- Mitigates neighbor/social issues
- Water based, subject to freezing
- Summer use may be curtailed in
open buildings during windy conditions
Equipment cost for a 42 by 200 foot finishing building with all components installed is approximately $4900. Annual usage for this facility would average $2100 of Odorgon concentrate or .73 per animal unit but could vary with region/climate. Nursery cost for swine is .19 per animal unit. Odorgon is mixed with water at a rate of 50 parts water to 1 part concentrate resulting in a cost of $1.50 per gallon diluted. Cost also varies based on building dimensions and desired results.
Steve Opheim, VP Klean Air Inc.
Point of Contact:
Ron Hamilton, firstname.lastname@example.org
The information provided here was developed for the conference Mitigating Air Emissions From Animal Feeding Operations Conference held in May 2008. To obtain updates, readers are encouraged to contact the author.